Saturday, February 13, 2010

Police

I had a friend ask about he police situation here in Guatemala. Here's what I told him.

There are national police, department (state) police, city police, traffic police, parking police and tourist police (charged with helping tourists enjoy their stay). None have bothered us and when we see them we greet them to let them know we are their friends. They are always courteous and return our greetings. There are also private security guards who stand outside banks, businesses receiving deliveries, silver shops, grocery stores, jewelry shops, etc. They carry shotguns and tend to be rather aloof, since their firepower gives them prestige. We ignore them for the most part and they ignore us. Some restaurants, like McDonalds and Pollo Campero, have security guards, but they are unarmed. For the most part, the people are friendly and helpful. When I fell, several came up to offer their assistance. When I drop things and don't notice it, a local often retrieves it and hands it to me. Tourism is a linchpin to local economic success and they look after their tourist.

I've not seen many military this trip, but they were very present during our last trip which coincided with the presidential election. I did see three, I think, in the back of a Ciudad Vieja police pick-up truck. They were going the other way.