Saturday, March 27, 2010

March 25

This morning, after breakfast, I spent the morning reviewing documents I've received from Primeros Pasos. This is primarily background information dealing with their history, objectives and results. I'll need this backgrounding if I'm to prepare grant applications and letters of inquiry.

Late in the morning, I ran across a funding source in Houston that got my interest. Rather than call them directly, I turned to my daughter in Missouri city, Susan, to make the inquiry for me. I later heard that she had gone through quite a workout before she was able to leave a voicemail message. She's hoping that a carbon-based unit (i.e. human) will return her call.

Mid-morning, Ariana emailed me and said that if I dropped off my USB drive, she could get the files she wanted to give me transferred to it. It was such a nice day that Linda walked with me over to the Torre Rosada (Pink Tower), which was adjacent to Ariana's apartment. On our way back, we stopped by our corner mercado and picked up a dozen eggs. I had brought the empty carton from our last dozen and used it, since eggs are usually sold in a flat of 30. We also bought two avocados and bananas. We then returned to our guest house to put away our provisions and I continued working on my document review.

Just before noon, we decided to walk to Parque Calvario (just around the corner and one long block away) and pick up a microbus that would take us to the Minerva Terminal (where all the chicken buses in Xela congregate), where we could walk to the Pradera Mall for lunch in the food court. There are a number of fast food restaurants there that Linda feels comfortable with after just coming off of major intestinal distress.

By the way, a microbus is typically a van, but it could be actually a small bus, minibus, that is used for public (though owned privately) transport here in Xela. A ride anywhere in town only costs Q1.25 (15 cents). Today, we think we may have witnessed a worlds record when we rode with 25 people at one time (four were standing).

When we got to Parque Calvario, we just missed both a bus and a microbus that were pulling away as we crossed the park. The next three or four microbuses were completely filled, or so we thought.

Eventually a microbus arrives and several people get off, making room for us to get on. On the windshield was a sign indicating where it went. One of the destinations was Terminal, which I assumed was the Minerva Terminal.

We rode this microbus from Parque Calvario, past Parque Juarez, past Mont Blanc (the smaller of the two shopping centers in Xela), past the Minerva mercado and, just as we expected it to turn right to go to Terminal, it turned left. We ended up about as far out in Xela as we could get and still be considered in town. By this time the microbus had emptied except for us and when I pointed to the sign and said that we wanted to go to Terminal, the driver just shook his head.

Instead, he drove us on until he found another microbus waiting by the side of the road and asked them if they were going to Terminal. They said they were (should I believe them?) and we changed microbuses. This one took a different route back and before we knew it, we were back at Parque Calvario, where we had started not so long ago.

We decided to take our chances and repeated the route we had earlier taken, but, this time, we got off at Parque Juarez, as we had spied a Pollo Campero on the corner. That we saw it was somewhat of a miracle, since both sidewalks along side the restaurant were filled with stalls selling shoes.

We went into Pollo Campero and were surprised to find almost every table filled and it was only 1:30 p.m., which is early for lunch in Guatemala. Since Linda's blood sugar was only 105 this morning, we celebrated by ordering fried chicken. Mine was extra crispy, while Linda ordered tradicional. We ordered the dinner (2 pieces of chicken, french fries, roll and beverage) and were only charged Q30 ($3.60) each.

After we finished lunch, we walked along Parque Calvario and continued on to Mont Blanc, the smaller of Xela's two shopping malls. Like Pradera Mall, it's two stories, but not as long. We went there for two purposes: first, I needed an ATM to replenish our funds and second, we needed some groceries and there is a Supertienda Paiz, which is smaller than a Hiper Paiz (think Walmart Superstore), but larger than a Dispensa Familiar (think small grocery store).

After getting our groceries, we walked back outside and returned to the street that the microbuses were using. The usual street, in front of Mont Blanc, is under reconstruction.

It wasn't long before a bus appeared. I asked if they were going to Parque Calvario and got a negative response. I got the same response from the next vehicle, a microbus. Finally, a minibus appeared and when I asked if it was going to Parque Calvario, the auydante replied vuelta (return), so we got on. We rode on this minibus to the end of the route and then it returned right to Parque Calvario and we got off right in front of Calvario Church.

On our walk back to our guest house, we once again stopped by he mercado for some additional fruits and vegetables that we would need for supper.

While Linda fixed supper, I started reviewing possible funding sources for Primeros Pasos projects. I took a break when supper was ready and resumed my search after I had eaten. When I finally stopped searching, I had identified seven possible funding sources, not including the one Susan is checking on. While most of them have submission deadlines next fall and winter, several have submission deadlines as early as May and, in two cases, no submission deadlines.

My final task this evening was to record my daily activity for posting on my blog. I'm still behind on my postings, but at least the text is practically finished.